On the Library
- The library was created for a reason, you probably should use it instead of sitting in your dorm watching Netflix.
- Sometimes you will run into people who use the library as a social gathering spot (yes, even during exam week), try to refrain from hitting them with your laptop because that doesn’t end well for anyone.
- Try to sit next to a window so that you can people watch if you need a break from your ridiculously long paper.
- It’s a great shortcut for hot days in the summer and cold days in the winter.
- Best drinking fountains of campus.
On Living in Barnes Hall
- This is the only hall with out a residential restaurant connected to it, but if we are being honest you really need to get out more, so it’s fine.
- If you are a part of LAS, you will be living with 40 of your best friends and it’s awesome.
- The walls are really thin so if you are cool with your neighbors you might have the occasional screaming conversation through the wall.
- You just have to tell yourself that living on the third floor without elevators is good for your physique.
- Being in close proximity to the UC (Bovee University Center) is the best thing ever, especially for Starbucks runs.
On the Dining Halls
- Ranked from my personal favorite to my least:
- Fresh- A cozy place to eat with great options and frequently serves the best grilled cheese known to man.
- Robby- Closest to Barnes; may not seem like anything special, but there is no way you can walk in without running into about 5 people you know.
- RFoC- They have the best Mongolian BBQ, so if you are up for the walk to Towers it’s totally worth it.
- Merril- I have yet to find this one.
- Flex Dollars are a precious thing. Spend them wisely, that means you do not need Starbucks everyday.
- There are days when the cafe food won’t cut it, splurge and order Jimmy John’s.
- Early classes may hurt your soul to wake up for, but in the long run, if you pay for the class you should probably go.
- If you have the chance to study abroad, GO!
- Believe it or not, homework was invented to help you succeed and excel in the subject you are studying, so just do it. Avoid doing said homework past 2am.
- This isn’t high school, so cramming before a big exam is not advised.
- These courses are guiding you closer to your dream job! Find your passions and pursue them.
On the People
- You don’t have to become best friends with the first people you meet.
- Your roomies will be around you 24/7, so be weird with them, push socially acceptable boundaries, love them and have fun.
- Talk to as many people as you can and make connections. Networking!
- Most of your profs are there to see you succeed and will help you in any way they can.
- You will find good and bad relationships, learn to tell the two apart.
Most important of all, college is a time for you to learn who you are and to become the person you want to be. Don’t let anyone stop you from achieving your dreams and never give up on what you love. As awfully cheesy as all of this sounds, I promise it’s true.